Thursday, April 16, 2015

Radio Play: Oral Fixation

Okay, this one is a little different.

When I was in college (so long ago I am embarrassed to admit it) some friends of mine and I produced a public affairs radio program for WSMS-FM, the University of Memphis campus radio station.  It contained some comedy skits to make the program interesting.  This was one of them and is my personal favorite.

That year "Take 15" won two Alpha Epsilon Rho national student broadcasting awards, one for Public Affairs and one for Comedy.  This skit was on the comedy reel.

"Take 15" consisted of  my humble self, Bonnie (Daws) Kourvelas, Michael J. Vails, C.J. Morgan, Mack Taylor, Hal Wolder, and a cast of thousands.  And it should be noted that it took its inspiration from a similar program that had been produced by the university's Office of Media Relations, which had won the AERho award in public affairs the previous year.  Bonnie and Mack have contributed to some of the new skits I have been producing for PowerTalk 1210.

Little did I know then that producing Take 15 would turn out to be one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life, and would lead to some lifelong friendships.  There are two other skits from it that stand the test of time fairly well, which I have been playing on my Tucson radio program.  Watch for those posts later.





No comments:

Post a Comment